Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 11

Today is free and easy. Thus, my roommates and I all woke up very late as this is like our only chance to sleep as much as we wanted. The weather was rather wet and cold as it is drizzling outside. We meet up with the local students and took a private van to Jiang Han Lu Bu Xin Jie again. However, the timing of it is rather bad, as the weather was cold. I tried the local food of Wuhan, hot dried noodle, for dinner at a noodle shop. As the name suggest, it is best serve when it is hot and is mix with peanut or sesame sauce. After which we took separate cab back to the campus.


hot dried noodle(热干面)

My drink:D


My Reflection

Today I noticed something very contradictory in Wuhan. Due to the fact that I had always been updating myself with world news despite in foreign country, I had found a very interesting report on the heavy pollutions in Yangtze river with more than 35% of the water bodies are unsafe for consumption. The experts warned that in just three to five years time, the percentage will be rise to 70% with only 10% of the water belonging to the drinkable sector. Therefore, the article consists of the views of many local residents and their opinions regarding the lack of government involvement in the Yangtze River pollution which will affect at least 300 million people. However, today while walking along the Duo Luo Jie behind the campus, I witnessed majority of those food store owner just simply emptied and poured containers of oil, soup, dirty detergent water down to the drain. At the end of the drain, many of those waste materials are accumulated and blocked the supposed river flow which leads to contamination of the whole drainage system. Just think about it, this is just one simply street in Wuhan, how about the hundreds of thousands of streets for the rest of China? I was beginning to wonder at that point of time whether the China government is wasting their resources in trying to purify the river water to maintain its healthy level of consumption. This is because I believe that ultimately, it is the people who pollute the water in the first place and are still continuing to do so till today, defying all the warnings and disregarding the future of the river. Many people believe that Yangtze River is a symbol of life and spirit, yet the people are destroying it.

The pollution!


No comments:

Post a Comment